Thursday, October 25, 2007

Floating Along Lake Michigan


Floating along lake Michigan

Jogging, knees creak a little, back stiff sure,
yet I’ve never floated so purely from step to step
round the corner, Michigan, Indiana, past the aquarium
and big sharks float into consciousness, clumsy, yet steady thoughts
just where the big rocks drop off and the lake starts, thoughts
in and out of the turquoise murk, avoiding the sun clear water
the bright light of day, where they’d be attacked, devoured
and short lived, brilliant, but short lived, they ease and sway
in and out of view, turquoise then black then blue, green
a perch or some fish more sharply finned, blue white and bold
kisses rocks, eats and lingers in the sun clear water, the sun whose soul streaks
through the water in vignettes, but gives up some ten feet down, calls me, but then
goes back to whenst it came, songs come up in ears that increase the bounce and float of my step, I fly as much as run, to see thoughts come and go in the turquoise murk, to see thoughts come and go in my mind and pre-mind, the rush of sensations that are not full thoughts, but chemical surge intuitions, brief ah ha’s not shaped by perch skin
clearly defined in the sun streaked turquoise water of my mind jogging
around the bend of the aquarium, Lake Michigan, July 26, 2007, Chicago.

2 comments:

Conan Malone said...

had final interview for job on this day. It went well and the day was beautiful. Fish have always appeared in my dreams, mysterious, coming and going in and out of my awareness. As a child I tried to catch fish by hand in the lake behind our house. These huge fish in Lake Michigan were dream like, they didn't look real. It was a wonderous jog along the lake, amid the mystery. CM

Conan Malone said...

the job has come and gone, some of the fish noted herein have died, been eaten or decayed, but I'm still here, at moments floating, flying, jogging, at moments doubting, at moments content, it's different moment to moment, but also always like that day along Lake Michigan. Tonight, the lake would be pushing up large sheets of ice, life would be slow, suspended out of site and I'd be alone, but it would be more like that day in connection to self and to nature if I were open, listening, looking, learning and absorbing.