Thursday, September 4, 2014


Dear Barry,

I’ve been putting this off ever since I got the news that you were gone. 

I remember your office in the back of the Continuing Education suite at Paramita.  No windows, none needed, work was done in there and you came out from time to time, as needed.  I remember you pushing dirt and gravel with your feet behind the building, behind the Cork, smoking, laughing like you did, sudden, breathy, I can’t quite imitate it.

I remember you installing the ceiling fan in our first townhouse, I asked, “will it hold?” you said “oh yeah, sure, I think” and then laughed like you did.  It held.

I remember you going in for open heart surgery, you gave us each a wooden heart with our names on it- I put mine behind the walls, in the foundation of that townhouse to make sure you were a part of my foundation, your are.

I jump ahead to the present, I’m at a large college and still there is no good solution for an ERP/CRM for Continuing Education save for what you created in 1998 in Lotus Approach.  You kept supporting your software solution (creation) after you moved away, after you moved back and after IT ordered you not support it as it was way outside of your normal duties.  You kept supporting the system as you knew without your system NUCE could not serve its students.  You slept on the couch at Sangha House to save us money, you worked for free when we couldn’t pay you, you smoked cigarettes in the parking lot, you laughed, you made others laugh, you gave of yourself again and again.

Years pass, miles divide us and here I am writing a thank you, an apology after you are gone.  I wish I could have done something to ease your pain.  You showed up time and time again for all of us… I hope you took with you some sense of the joy and love you spread.  I want to go back to our Longmont townhouse and tear open the walls to find the cracked wooden heart that bears our names.  Maybe if I held that small token my heart would not ache like it does.

I miss you Barry.  I love you.  You were a mentor to me, a big brother and a friend. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for writing this, Joe. Writing for all of us, certainly for me. I too wish I could've done more, wish I did more to support Barry. After all he was right here, in the same town. Hamba kahle, Barry - go well my friend...

Conan Malone said...

Pieter, you were there to send Barry off. I'm sure that would make him happy. I recall the days we all worked together with a nostalgic ache, miss you and Charlotte and the entire NU and CE family. Be well.